New Roads to Travel

The Adventures of a Vet at Home and Abroad

Monday, February 19, 2007

Logan, Utah - Cach Valley

I visited Logan, Utah for 2 days interviewing with Bridgerland-Cache Animal Hospital. The Cache Valley is gorgeous and I could definitely live surrounded by mountains. My time in Logan reminded me of how lucky I am, to have been exposed to influential, progressive faculty at Cornell, that have shaped the veterinarian that I want to become and the type of practice I am seeking for my first associate position.

The criteria that I have laid out for my perfect job include:

1. I desire to work in a multi-doctor large animal clinic, 4-5 doctors minimum. Not only will this provide multiple individuals to pose inquiries to, but it will also help with the on-call emergency schedule.

2. I want to practice in a progressive dairy area, with practitioners that use an evidence based approach for treatment protocols and decision making. I want to have colleagues that strive to remain current with the changing trends within production animal medicine and I want to work with clientele that strive to make money, not just milk.

3. I NEED to work with horses in some capacity. Not just backyard horses, but horses that are used for competing, whether this means 4-H horses, pony club, or hunter/jumpers. I also want get involved more with equine repro and work with broodmares.

4. I want a practice that can provide me mentorship without coddling me.

5. I want to be paid appropriately, as a new graduate, with a varied and broad exposure to the dairy and equine industry.

The practice didn’t fit these criteria, but I enjoyed getting to visit some dairies in the Logan area and take in the surrounding sites.

Forge on!

Wasatch Mountain Range, Logan, UT

I took a scenic drive along Highway 89, it winds through the Bear River Mountain range. I would have had more pictures, had it not been so winding, steep, and at dusk.
Views from the Highway heading west through Utah - bound for California.

1 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger heidiann(e) said...

sounds like good criteria to me, mags. i'll keep those on my prayer list for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home