New Roads to Travel

The Adventures of a Vet at Home and Abroad

Monday, February 19, 2007

Montana - Big Sky

Eastern Montana looks much like the majority of North Dakota and is quite desolate. The rule I developed is, if you can see beef cows in the distance, it means that people were once there. My friend Allison was stationed in Great Falls, MT for 5 years with the Air Force and I never got the opportunity to visit her when she lived in Montana. Ironically, now that she lives in Ohio I had the opportunity to drive through Montana and see some spectacular sites throughout the state. I spent the night in Butte, MT – pronounced bute, not butt. The highway takes you through some amazing twists and turns down the mountain side before dropping you into Butte, a mining town at the base of the mountain range.

On my way to Utah, the following day I had the opportunity to go to the Patagonia outlet in Dillion, MT. I realized after arriving in the small town that it was 50% off the lowest ticketed price sale and there was a line of about 100 people waiting outside the store. I joined in line and made it in the door before they started to restrict people, due to fire code restrictions. I threw some elbows and came out with some great deals. The down side to this experience was waiting in line to check out. A gentleman from Tokyo and 2 older women were in front of me in line. The man purchased $3,800 worth of the merchandise and the women each purchased around ~$1,300 each!

Another experience was being approach at the gas station, by what seemed like a harmless friendly couple originally from Denver. They were curious about a New Yorker all the way out in Montana, we made some idle chit chat and they asked about all the snow New York was getting, etc… In the end, they turned out to be Jehovah’s Witnesses who went back to their car to get me some propaganda. Lesson learned, never trust the overly friendly ones.

Highway views

Descending into Butte, MT.

Train
Beef cows in the distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home